Dry ice causes explosion in Long Island house

January 12, 2008 10:08:04 AM PST
Police responding to an explosion in the basement of a Long Island house discovered dry ice that had not been stored properly. A young woman in the Stony Brook house last night called police when she heard the blast, fearing someone had broken in.

Officers found broken glass and a damaged sheetrock wall along with the remnants of a cooler.

The owner of the home, Francisco Lopes - the woman's stepfather - works as a scientist at the SUNY Stony Brook Center for Molecular Medicine.

Lopes, who came home later last night, told police he had brought home some dry ice in a closed glass container to show his daughter, and left it in the basement.

No charges were filed against him.

Police say the explosion did not create any hazardous conditions.


Load Comments