Queens man arrested in slaying of psychologist

Murdered psychologist applauded at funeral
February 16, 2008 4:27:11 PM PST
NYPD investigators have arrested a Queens man suspected in the vicious slaying of a psychologist butchered in her office with a meat cleaver and 9-inch knife. Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly says David Tarloff, 39, was taken into custody early Saturday, after investigators matched his fingerprints with prints found at the bloody crime scene.

Therapist Kathryn Faughey was slashed 15 times with a meat cleaver and a 9-inch knife in her Manhattan office Tuesday evening. A psychiatrist who worked in the building, Dr. Kent Shinbach, came to Faughey's aid and was badly injured.

Sources say officers took the suspect to the 19th precinct in Manhattan around midnight.

Detectives say the suspect's fingerprint matched a fingerprint taken off from the crime scene.

Also, the sources say the suspect fits the description of killer who attacked Dr. Faughey and Dr. Shinbach on Tuesday night.

Police say the suspect has a history of mental illness.

Meanwhile, murdered therapist Kathryn Faughey received applause and a standing ovation at her funeral, where she was praised as a healer who brought energy and humor to all who knew her.

Her best friend, Patricia Daly, delivered the eulogy at St. Monica's Roman Catholic Church on Manhattan's East Side. She told mourners, "Kathy, well done, good and faithful servant of God," as the congregation rose to its feet and clapped.

Daly, a Dominican nun, told them that Faughey, who specialized in helping people with relationships, would have told them to continue to be engaged in the relationship she gave them, beyond the violent experiences of the past days.

Until the person who viciously murdered psychologist Kathryn Faughey is caught, many who lived in her neighborhood will remain apprehensive, heartbroken and even baffled as to who would do this.

"I think it's horrific," said a woman. "I think it is one of the worst things happened certainly in my neighborhood."

At Dr. Faughey's wake Friday night---patients, friends and family members gathered to remember the woman who loved living on the Upper East Side.

At the wake, attendees remembered Dr. Faughey as an amazing woman. They called the 56-year-old therapist an advocate for the troubled, and they say she was a woman who enjoyed helping people.

Meanwhile, the investigation into the ferocious stabbing has been slowed because detectives are barred by privacy laws from reviewing Faughey's patient records without a court order.

"This is certainly not the first time where the issue of privacy comes up against concerns and requirements as seen by law enforcement," Kelly said. "We're trying to address this through court order."

The motive for the attack is still under investigation. The victim's grieving husband declined to talk about the case until an arrest is made.

Police are talking about some aspects of the investigation. Commissioner Ray Kelly fielded questions for 30 minutes about the case providing the most detailed timeline to date of the hour of horror inside the psychologists' office on Tuesday.

  • At 8 p.m. the suspect walks into the building.
  • Between 8 and 8:30, he sits in the waiting room with a female patient.
  • At 8:30 that patient goes into Dr. Kent Shinbach's office.
  • Then shortly before 8:50 the killer attacks Dr. Faughey.
  • Dr. Shinbach hears a struggle, tries to help and is attacked and injured.
  • Eyewitness News also learned that the killer confronted the patient.
  • At 9 p.m. the killer walks out a basement door leaving his murder weapons behind in the black bags-- a meat cleaver, eight knives, and women's clothing.

    Also in the bags- adult diapers that were sold in five stores in three states including the hometown of William Kunsman. He was a friend of the victim. The Pennsylvania man was questioned for more than eight hours by police and then released.

    Police say the killer told the office doorman that he was there to see Dr. Shinbach but the doctor didn't recognize him.

    As investigators are searching for evidence, nine boxes have been removed from Faughey's office and police are studying security camera footage and following up on hotline tips.