Questions surround death of shooting victim

Shooting left one cop shot and one man killed
April 21, 2008 2:55:24 PM PDT
In New Jersey, there's been an arrest in connection with a string of early morning shootings that left one man dead and two others wounded, but now there's questions into one of the victim's death. The violence erupted around 3:00 a.m. Sunday in Irvington.

The family of the victim, 22-year old Gary Farrar, a Rutger's student believes the death could've been prevented after they claim the ambulance took 30 minutes to get to the scene.

Farrar's family was so proud, couldn't wait to see him receive his diploma next month: Plans suddenly ended by this violence.

The Mayor of Irvington has said they have launched an investigation into the response time.

The family believes he could've survived, but did not get the help he needed in time.

"He layed there for about a half an hour. 911 was busy, we couldn't get through," said the victim's grandmother.

His father said he didn't receive the medical attention until it was too late.

Family members say police were called before the victim was shot because they heard gunshots.

The mom says she kept up his pulse for 30 minutes before the paramedics responded.

According to Irvington Police they received the first call to the scene at 3:11 a.m., at 3:13 a.m. they contacted Monarch ambulance service. The private company says they were contacted at 3:16 a.m. and arrived nine minutes later.

Farrar had just graduated from Rutgers University, where he studied graphic design. His grandmother said he was a quiet person who also worked with his father at the family's landscaping business.

"I know my child was not mixed up in all this crazy stuff in here," she said. "This foolishness has got to stop. It's too painful. It's too painful."

The suspect drove in an SUV toward a car on Eastern Parkway and fired, hitting the driver in the wrist. Detectives say he then drove around the corner and shot Farrar in the neck, and ended his spree on Grove Street, pulling up to a marked police car.

An police Sgt. was also shot and he is expected to recover.

Twenty-seven-year-old Shaquan Johnson is now in custody, charged with aggravated assault on a police officer.