Surcharge could fund NJ State Police patrols

August 6, 2008 7:28:22 AM PDT
Speeding tickets might be used to offset the charge that small towns must pay for New Jersey State Police patrols. Municipal officials have scheduled a news conference Wednesday to support a bill proposed by Sen. Jeff Van Drew of Cape May County.

The Democrat wants to tack a $40 surcharge on all motor-vehicle violations.

Half the money would be used to help towns pay for State Police patrols. The other half would go to towns that have full-time police department Some 89 New Jersey towns recently received bills to cover the cost of State Police services. They must pay by Dec. 15 or find another source of police protection.

Click here for more New York and Tri-State News

Report a typo || Send a story idea || Send news photos/videos