Another school adopts pay-to-play

September 22, 2008 2:47:13 PM PDT
Besides hard work and determination, playing on the John F. Kennedy Catholic High School football team now costs money. The school in Somers is the latest to adopt a pay-to-play model.

Parents of athletes will have to cough up in some cases up to $300 in order for their kids to participate in after school sports.

Kennedy Catholic is run by the New York archdiocese, which has closed some schools and merged parishes. For many parents, the extra fee is money well spent.

Parents won't have to foot the entire bill. Under its formula, the school will still pay for 70 percent of the athletic department's cost. The remaining 30 percent will be paid by the parents.

Some districts have gone to pay-to-play when town school budgets have been defeated.

Mt. Vernon is in the midst of a fundraising campaign headed by alumnus Denzel Washington in an effort to try to save its winter and spring sports.

At Kennedy, so far not one student has been unable to meet the new financial requirement, which administrators say will remain in place for the foreseeable future.

----
Click here for more New York and Tri-State News

Report a typo || Send a story idea || Send news photos/videos


Load Comments