Toxic material found at NJ preschool

October 3, 2008 2:35:53 PM PDT
State officials say a Paterson preschool will be closed for at least two weeks after air tests found elevated levels of a toxic material used in mothballs and toilet deodorizers.Michael's Energy Factory was once used to make mothballs.

State officials say exposure to the chemical can cause dizziness, watery eyes, difficulty breathing, headaches and liver problems.

About 275 toddlers and children have been moved to another preschool while workers clean the building.

State officials have been monitoring air quality in the building since July 2007. That's when officials ordered a statewide review of child-care centers near contaminated sites.

Tests conducted last month showed the elevated levels.

----
Click here for more New York and Tri-State News

Report a typo || Send a story idea || Send news photos/videos


Load Comments