Safety urged with alternate heating

October 25, 2008 3:27:52 PM PDT
With New York's winter weather awareness week starting Sunday, Floyd Madison, the state fire administrator, is warning the public of the dangers associated with kerosene heaters, wood or pellet stoves and long-unused fireplaces.As energy costs soar, more New Yorkers are likely to use alternative heat sources.

Madison says it's essential to be aware of fire risks, and to make sure there's plenty of ventilation for alternate heating sources to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning.

Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas that can be produced by such common items as home heating systems, obstructed chimneys and automotive exhaust.


On the Net:

  • For information on fire safety:\fire
  • To get alerts on local weather conditions:

    Click here for New York and Tri-State News

    Report a typo || Send a story idea || Send news photos/videos
    Twitter Eyewitness News || Twitter New York News || Twitter Breaking News