Sextuplets born to NY couple

October 27, 2008 5:28:32 AM PDT
A Queens couple spent seven years raising their only child, a son - until New York's second-ever sextuplets arrived.The four boys and two girls were born earlier this month to 31-year-old Digna Carpio and her thirty-six-year-old husband Victor, a maintenance worker with the city's Housing Authority. But the Queens couple kept the news quiet to make sure the infants all lived.

Doctors at first gave one girl only a 25 percent chance because of a problem with a heart valve that has since been repaired surgically; she now has a 75 percent chance.

"I've watched each of my babies fight so hard to survive," their teary-eyed mother told the Daily News. "Life is beautiful, and we're so thankful."

The sextuplets were born at Manhattan's Mount Sinai Medical Center, weighing between 11/2 and 2 pounds each. Till their parents name them, they're known as babies A, B, C, D, E and F.

"The doctors couldn't believe how much they weighed," said Victor Carpio. The two girls - E and F - were the heaviest.

And all of them, observed the couple's son, 7-year-old Jhancarlos, are "so tiny and wrinkled."

Now, the family suddenly has to care for seven children.

City Council member Tony Avella started a collection for baby supplies from his Queens office.

New York's only other sextuplets, the Boniellos, were born in 1997 at Stony Brook University Hospital on Long Island.

----
Click here for New York and Tri-State News

Report a typo || Send a story idea || Send news photos/videos
Twitter Eyewitness News || Twitter New York News || Twitter Breaking News



Load Comments