• WEATHER ALERT Winter Weather Advisory

2 found dead in LI garage

January 6, 2009 3:07:19 PM PST
Police said the two people who died did not realize turning on a car in a garage would kill them. They died from carbon monoxide poisoning.

Police said within minutes of starting the car, they had succumb to the fumes.

"The two victims had come to the home last night, some time around 11 o'clock. They probably went out to the garage for some privacy from other members of the household. At some point, they turned on the car for warmth, we're assuming, and were overcome by the fume," Lt. Jack Fitzpatrick said.

The homeowner is credited with saving the lives of six other people who were inside the house, including the victim's 13-year-old son.

Police said the homeowner woke up feeling sick and knew something was wrong.

"He heard the sound of a running automobile out in the garage, entered the garage and was able to get to the overhead doorway and opened it part way and then passed out in the driveway,: Fitzpatrick said. "He came to shortly after and police arrived. He is probably credited with saving a number of other people in the house."

Police found 31-year-old Walter Corea dead on the floor inside the garage. An unidentified woman was found dead inside the vehicle.

Police said the 13-year-old son of Corea had recently come from Honduras to spend time with his father.

The other residents of the Bay Shore home were treated and released at a nearby hospital. ----
Click here for New York and Tri-State News

Report a typo || Send a story idea || Send news photos/videos
Follow us on Facebook || Twitter New York News
Get Eyewitness News delivered to you every evening!



Load Comments