Space heater blamed for Brooklyn fire

<div class="meta image-caption"><div class="origin-logo origin-image none"><span>none</span></div><span class="caption-text">An apartment fire injured a dozen people -- one critically -- in the Midwood section.</span></div>
February 4, 2009 10:54:22 AM PST
A space heater sparked a fire in the Midwood section of Brooklyn that left one man clinging to life and 11 others injured. Authorities say the space heater, placed too close to a bed, started the blaze on the first floor of 1439 Ocean Avenue just after 2 a.m. Wednesday.

The fire quickly spread, burning a 24-year-old man over most of his body. He was in very critical condition and transferred to Jacobi Medical Center.

Eleven other people, most of them also residents of the building, were injured. Nine of them were taken to Maimonides Medical Center for smoke inhalation.

Fire marshals said that the space heater apparently lit the bedding on fire. The fire then spread from the bed to the structure.

Additionally, the smoke detector in the hallway was not working at the time of the blaze.


NEW YORK AND TRI-STATE AREA NEWS

USEFUL LINKS:
SEND TIP OR PHOTO  || REPORT TYPO ||  GET WIDGET

 EYEWITNESS TWITTER ||  FIND US ON FACEBOOK


Load Comments