• WEATHER ALERT Winter Weather Advisory

Carbon monoxide scare on Long Island

November 22, 2010 9:33:13 AM PST
A carbon monoxide buildup forced 14 people, some of them young children, to flee a single-family Elmont home this morning. The residents were overcome inside 130 Biltmore Avenue, where the carbon monoxide reading was 125 parts per million.

Firefighters discovered some residents still inside when firefighters arrived just before 8:30 a.m.

The firefighters evacuated the remaining residents, opened the windows and shut off the gas burner.

In all, 14 residents were rushed to Nassau University Medical Center. Four or five of them were children -- and one was a five-day-old baby.

One of the victims was described as "in a little worse condition" than the others, said an Elmont fire official.

National Grid maintenance crews confirmed the carbon monoxide buildup and said gas had been shut off. Two carbon monoxide detectors were in the home.

Web Produced By: Scott Curkin


NEW YORK AND TRI-STATE AREA NEWS

USEFUL LINKS:
SEND TIP OR PHOTO  || REPORT TYPO ||  GET WIDGET

 EYEWITNESS TWITTER ||  FIND US ON FACEBOOK


Load Comments