Dog alerts Brooklyn residents of fire

March 4, 2009 7:18:08 AM PST
A dog named "Ace" alerted residents of a Bedford-Stuyvesant brownstone to a third-alarm fire that left 27 of them homeless. Eyewitness News is told the dog, a German shepard and pit bull mix, began barking when flames erupted inside the Lafayette Avenue building just after 1:30 a.m. this morning.

The mutt reportedly would not stop barking until residents of the three-story building were awake.

All the residents escaped as flames spread to homes on both sides.

Officials say in all, 27 residents in four brownstones -- 23 adults and 4 children -- were left homeless by the flames.

Two firefighters were treated for minor injuries.

The fire apparently started in the basement, possibly sparked by electrical wiring.

Con Edison shut down the power to five buildings on the block. Utility crews were working on the block yesterday.

Residents said one of the buildings damaged by the flames is owned by State Senator Eric Adams.


NEW YORK AND TRI-STATE AREA NEWS

USEFUL LINKS:
SEND TIP OR PHOTO  || REPORT TYPO ||  GET WIDGET

 EYEWITNESS TWITTER ||  FIND US ON FACEBOOK


Load Comments