• WEATHER ALERT Winter Weather Advisory

CO scare leads to evacuations in Queens

March 6, 2009 9:33:23 PM PST
High carbon monoxide levels forced the evacuation of families in Queens. An underground transformer fire on the 18-hundred block of Stephens Street sent the fumes into their homes.

At least ten families were evacuated.

Firefighters and ConEd workers found potentially fatal levels of carbon monoxide in their homes. They said the levels were ten to one hundred times beyond the same level.

Because everyone was evacuated so quickly, no one suffered from carbon monoxide poisoning.

Officials said manhole fires are common when snow and salt are melting onto underground cables. The melt eats away at the protective coating on the cables, sparking fires.

People on the block were allowed back into their homes once fire officials determined that the CO levels had gone down.


MORE NEW YORK AND TRI-STATE AREA NEWS

USEFUL LINKS:
SEND TIP OR PHOTO  || REPORT TYPO ||  GET WIDGET

 EYEWITNESS TWITTER ||  FIND US ON FACEBOOK


Load Comments