Building collapse investigation continues

June 22, 2009 2:49:40 PM PDT
New York City officials are investigating the collapse of a four-story building Sunday afternoon in Brooklyn that injured four people and led to the evacuation of six adjacent buildings. The building had been cited weeks earlier for cracks that ran from the ground floor to the roof.

  • SLIDESHOW Photos from the collapse.

    The New York Fire Department says four people had minor injuries.

    "I fault the city, the landlord, the bldg commissioner who told us it was safe to go in. They should've evacuated it a month ago when they saw the cracks," said Eric Williams.

    The building housed a bar on the first floor with apartments above. But nobody else was in the building when it fell.

    The Buildings Commissioner says the investigation will look to see if weather played a part in the collapse.

    "We need to analyze the owner's role and the contractor's role. The owner is ultimately responsible for the building," said Commissioner Robert Limandri. He adds "These buildings are from the late 1800s, fragile and must be maintained."

    Eric Williams, says he only got out of the building because his son called to wish him a happy father's day. He'd been resting after running channel 7's 5 mile fight against prostate cancer, and the call woke him up. We're it not for that father's day present, Williams says he's confident he would've been trapped, or worse.

    The AP contributed to this story.


    MORE NEW YORK AND TRI-STATE AREA NEWS

    USEFUL LINKS:
    SEND TIP OR PHOTO  || REPORT TYPO ||  GET WIDGET

     EYEWITNESS TWITTER ||  FIND US ON FACEBOOK


  • Load Comments