Explosion critically burns 1 in Newark

June 25, 2009 3:07:03 PM PDT
A woman was critically burned in an apparent gas explosion that blew the roof off of a Newark home. Eyewitness News is told the victim was squatting inside the Oriental Place apartment when she sparked the explosion just after 7:30 a.m. this morning.

  • SLIDESHOW Photos from the explosion.

    She was rushed to St. Barnabas Medical Hospital in Livingston with burns.

    The woman was believed to be a squatter living in a home that has been vacated. The previously residents were evicted and left without turning off the gas valve of the dryer.

    Officials say she was in the second floor bedroom and lit a small fire, sparking the explosion.

    The explosion was so powerful it blew a hole in the roof, according to reports. However, the structure was not in danger of collapse.

    Fire department officials quickly put out an ensuing small fire.

    [GET EYEWITNESS NEWS DELIVERED: Click here to sign up]


    MORE NEW YORK AND TRI-STATE AREA NEWS

    USEFUL LINKS:
    SEND TIP OR PHOTO  || REPORT TYPO ||  GET WIDGET

     EYEWITNESS TWITTER ||  FIND US ON FACEBOOK


  • Load Comments