Gas leak forces evacuation of assisted living center

February 8, 2010 11:10:06 AM PST
Dozens of elderly residents were evacuated from an assisted living center in East Northport following a gas leak Monday. The residents were evacuated from the Birchwood Suites Assisted Living Community at Clay Pitts Road.

They were taken out following a gas leak that spread throughout the building.

About 62 residents were moved to another building while the structure was aired out.

Four residents had to be taken to Huntington Hospital for evaluation.

Officials determined the leak was the result of an improperly installed gas heater. Inspectors from National Grid reportedly found other violations, including problems with the facility's heating system.


Load Comments