Sources: Ford not running for Senate

Harold Ford Jr visits the Capitol in Albany, N.Y., on Monday, Jan. 25, 2010. (Mike Groll)

March 1, 2010 4:58:17 PM PST
Sources have told Eyewitness News that Harold Ford Jr. has decided against running for U.S. Senate in New York. He had delayed an announcement last week about whether he was running because of the scandal surrounding New York Gov. David Paterson.

Ford had said he would make an announcement after the weekend. Sources told Eyewitness News reporter Dave Evans that he decided not to run.

Ford wrote in a New York Times op-ed piece published Monday on the newspaper's Web site that if he were to run "the likely result would be a brutal and highly negative Democratic primary."

Ford has spent the past seven weeks gauging support for a possible Democratic primary challenge to Gillibrand, who was appointed to the seat by New York's governor when Hillary Rodham Clinton became U.S. secretary of state.


Load Comments