NEW YORK --Celebrate the water that surrounds you with a free day of waterfront fun, education and adventure!The City of Water Day Festival brings together people from throughout the region to celebrate our magnificent and underutilized harbors and river systems .
When: Saturday, July 24, 2010 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Where: Festival Center - Governors Island; Additional Locations - Liberty State Park (South Jetty), Brooklyn Bridge Park, Atlantic Basin (Pier 11, Red Hook)
Get more information: www.cityofwaterday.org
Governors Island is accessible via the free Governors Island Ferry that runs from Manhattan and Brooklyn. Click for more information on the Governors Island Ferries.
Free ferry service will connect the Festival Center on Governors Island to Liberty State Park and Brooklyn Bridge Park. Liberty State Park is accessible via water, mass transit, and car (click for directions). Brooklyn Bridge Park is accessible by water, mass transit, and car (click for directions).
Festival highlights will include:
- Free narrated harbor boat tours on historic, educational, and working vessels;
- The Waterfront Action Information Fair, featuring displays and activities by hundreds of groups active IN, ON, and AROUND the water;
- A spectacular flotilla of hundreds of rowers and paddlers converging on the festival from launch points throughout the region;
- A special Children's Fair, with dozens of activities just for families, including puppet shows, sing-a-longs, and craft sessions teaching environmental values;
- City of Water Day Film Expo featuring water-themed shorts and documentary movies;
- Live music and delicious food;
- A one-of-a-kind floating Festival Launch & Press Event featuring speeches and pledges of support by prominent elected officials
The City of Water Day Festival is sponsored by WABC, the New York-New Jersey Harbor Estuary Program, the New England Interstate Water Pollution Control Commission, Disney, Con Edison, Metro Energy, Entertainment Cruises, and Bimmy's "Food Made With Love"; as well as WNYC Radio and the Star-Ledger.