Quick thinking manager leads police to gunpoint robber

Andre Gainer, 26 years old, of Norwalk, Ct. is the suspect in a Fairfield, Ct. CVS gunpoint robbery that took palce on August 10, 2010. (Fairfield Police Department)

August 12, 2010 3:21:18 PM PDT
A quick thinking CVS manager help police arrest a man who robber a Fairfield, CT. CVS at gunpoint. The CVS is located at 961 Black Rock Tpke. The event took place Tuesday night. The Fairfield Police department says that the suspect is Andre Gainer, 26 years old, of Norwalk, Ct.

According to police, the suspect entered the CVS with a gun drawn and asked to speak to the manager. Gainer then forced the manager and another employee into a back office at gunpoint and asked her to open the safe. The suspect was loading money into a plastic bag when the manager took the phone, dialed 911, and left the phone off the hook, according to surveillance video.

Police responded to the robbery after receiving the manager's 911 call in which they clearly heard the statement, "It doesn't have to go down like this" being screamed in the background, according to authorities.

The manager followed the suspect out of the car and gave police a description of the car and its license plate number. Other store employees and customer were also able to provide police with descriptions of the suspect and his vehicle.

Gainer led police on a chase to arrest him, according to authorities. A police officer spotted Gainer driving without his lights on, approximately a quarter mile from the CVS. According to police, Gainer sped up when he noticed the officer. Gainer then reached a dead end and fled on foot.

Shortly after, police spotted Gainer walking towards his girlfriend's residence. A police sergeant and detective spotted Gainer walking with a hand behind his back and believed him to still possess the gun he robbed CVS with. The police officials then order Gainer to stop, but he refused to listen and stated, "I have a gun." Afterwards, Gainer again fled on foot, according to authorities.

After the second pursuit, police took Gainer into custody. He has been charged with first degree robbery, fourth degree larceny, and carrying a facsimile of a firearm. He has been released on $150,000 bail, according to police.

The gun Gainer was carrying was fake, although no one knew that at the time.

Police say that no one was injured in the robbery.

The company's corporate office released a statement which reads "We are grateful no one in our Fairfield store was harmed...we have offered counseling services to our store employees who were present."