M. Wells Diner is only about six weeks old, but it's houses 50 years of history.
It's not your usual American Diner and adds something to an otherwise industrial stretch of long island city.
Now you can bring the flavors of M Wells into your kitchen. Here a recipes for some of their favorite dishes:
Egg Sausage Sandwich
with Cheddar, Tomato and Pickled Jalapeño on a Fat English Muffin
FYI: This recipe makes several servings of the English muffin and sausage patty. You are not obliged to make every component of the sandwich from scratch.
English muffin (makes 1 dozen):
1.Bloom yeast in body temperature water until foamy.
2.Add remaining ingredients minus the cornmeal.
3.Mix on medium with a dough hook (on any good mixer) until smooth (10 minutes.)
4.Shape into a firm ball of dough and place in greased bowl to rise, covered, until it doubles in size (about 1 ½ to 2 hours).
5. Portion dough into 12.
6.Knead dough into balls and press into a circle mold over cornmeal. Let proof, covered, for 30 minutes.
7. Cook on medium heat on cast iron skillet for 5 minutes on each side. If not fully cooked place in the oven at 400 degrees for 2 to 5 minutes.
Breakfast Sausage (8 ? 10 portions):
1. Mix everything together in a kitchen aid or other mixer with a paddle for 5 minutes.
2. Press meat into casing and tie both ends, tightly.
3.Poach in the water at 160 degrees for 2 hours.
4. Cool down in refrigerator for 12 hours.
5 Heat cast iron skillet, open casing and cut ½ inch slices, sear one side with a little butter.
6.Flip over and add cheddar on one side, wait for it to melt.
1. Pack jalapeños, garlic, onions and thyme into a half gallon jar.
2. Boil vinegar, water and salt together and pour into the jar on top of the jalapeños.
3. Cover the jar and let it sit for 3 to 4 days.
Mayonnaise (2 quarts)
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
2 tsp of lemon juice
1 quart of grapeseed oil
½ tsp salt
1.Whisk yolks, mustard, lemon juice and salt together with the whisk.
2.Whisk in the oil slowly
Egg (one portion):
1. Beat eggs and olive oil together and microwave on high for 50 to 60 seconds.
2. Place in pan to cook to preferred doneness.
Build Egg Sausage Sandwich:
Toast the English muffin.
Add sausage with cheese on one side.
Add a slice of fresh tomato and a few sliced pickled jalapeño.
On other side spread on tbsp of mayo.