Deadline extended for ground zero responders

August 25, 2010 5:29:43 PM PDT
Thousands of ground zero responders are being given more time to decide whether to settle lawsuits over their exposure to toxic dust from the World Trade Center.

Lawyers in the case say they have scrapped a deadline that gave rescue and response workers until Sept. 8 to join or reject a settlement worth as much as $713 million.

The nearly 10,000 police officers, firefighters, and construction and utility workers involved in the suits will now get until Nov. 8.

The special insurance entity representing New York City in the litigation said Wednesday that the extension was needed because of "unexpected logistical delays."

They said about half of the eligible workers have opted-in so far.

A few dozen have said "no." The rest have yet to respond.


Load Comments