Large dorm at Central Connecticut State University evacuated

The News Leader

September 7, 2010 4:23:26 PM PDT
Cleaning crews will work through the night to eliminate the odor of smoke in a dormitory at Central Connecticut State University following an electrical fire.

No one was injured in the incident Tuesday at the F. Don James residence hall, an eight-story building that was evacuated. School spokeswoman Janice Palmer tells The Hartford Courant the dorm houses about 415 people, and they will be able to return Wednesday.

Temporary accommodations have been set up and students also will stay with friends.

University spokesman Mark McLaughlin says the incident was limited to the mechanical room on the top floor.

In an unrelated incident, the school's student center was also briefly evacuated Tuesday after a student fainted and another reported feeling ill. Tests determined the air quality was fine.

Officials believe the students' illnesses were coincidental.


Load Comments