Judge expands gag order in UConn player stabbing

Connecticut corner back Jasper Howard (6) tries to get the crowd into the game during the fourth quarter of an NCAA college football game against Rutgers Saturday, Oct. 18, 2008, in Piscataway, N.J. (AP Photo/Mel Evans)

November 17, 2010 8:24:54 AM PST
A Superior Court judge has expanded a gag order that prevents public comment by people involved in cases related to the fatal stabbing of a University of Connecticut football player.

Judge Edward Mullarkey said Friday that all defendants in the case can't speak about it.

The order follows Mullarkey's directive last month for the lawyers in the case to stop talking to the press.

Mullarkey said he's concerned about finding an impartial jury in the small district, where many residents are associated with the University of Connecticut.

John W. Lomax III is accused of stabbing Jasper Howard to death in October 2009 after he got into a dispute with a group of UConn football players, including Howard.

Lomax says he didn't stab Howard. The 22-year-old Lomax is scheduled to go to trial in January.

---
Do you have something to add to this story? Click here to contact Eyewitness News.


Load Comments