He saved five people when smoke and fire started filling the upstairs bathroom.
The family says earlier a plumber had been working on the pipes, but ran off.
Sayem, who began screaming to alert everyone, told the contractor to call 911. He learned that at school.
At PS 133 in Bellerose, Sayem's kindergarten class had just learned about fire safety in October.
Barbara Stravidis has been teaching for 20 years. She says let this moment be a beautiful reward for all educators.
"They really take it all in and it can make a difference. In this case, it was lifesaving. I am thrilled," she said.
You can help your child learn about fire safety by visiting www.fdnyfiresmart.org.