Brooklyn couple killed after bullets fly, 1 in critical

May 30, 2011 3:22:28 AM PDT
A barrage of bullets in Brooklyn leaves two people dead and another critically injured while police search for the shooter.

Police say the victims, 22-year-old Crystal Melody Sweet and her 29-year-old boyfriend, Timothy Walter, were walking by the housing project in the Sheepshead Bay section at approximately 5:20 am when they were struck by flying bullets.

"I could see from the window, something white sheet, I said that can't be my daughter, I ran, I ran," the victim's mother Josephine Rodriguez said.

Rodriguez ran straight to a blood stained sheet that was covering her daughter Crystal's lifeless body.

A 22-year-old young lady who was gunned down, not by a few bullets, rather a swarm.

So many that people living in the Sheepshead Houses lost count as bullets took over the area at about 5:15 a.m. on Sunday.

"I'm going through a tough time, it's rough, it's not easy to swallow," Crystal's father Ricardo Rodriguez said.

Crystal and her 5-year-old daughter Lydia lived with relatives.

They say the outgoing home health aide had gone out Saturday night with her boyfriend 29-year-old Timothy Walter and his 30-year-old brother Cornelius.

The three were coming home when someone approached and began shooting.

Crystal and Timothy were killed instantly, Cornelius was gravely injured and rushed to the hospital where he is in critical condition.

"Timothy should have never lost his life like that, Timothy was a young beautiful kid," Walter's aunt Patricia McCall said.

But Crystal's family says the couple had their share of problems.

"I didn't like him. He used to beat up on my daughter," Josephine Rodriguez said.

Crystal's father says he was absolutely concerned for his daughter.

"I had spoken to her but you can't say nothing to them at that age," Ricardo Rodriguez said.

As for who did this and why, relatives have their theory. They say no one had problems with Crystal.

But Timothy, they point out, that's a different story.

"He had a dispute that day and they came back to retaliate and that shouldn't have happened to her, she was a wonderful person," Ricardo Rodriguez said.

Police are not clear what led to the gunfire.

No arrests have been made.