LI man overcome by cyanide fumes at jeweler

March 1, 2011 8:25:12 AM PST
A man was hospitalized after having an apparent reaction to cyanide fumes in Manorhaven early Tuesday.

Authorities say the 51-year-old victim was overcome inside a Manorhaven Boulevard building just before 3:45 a.m.

He was taken to St. Francis Hospital in Roslyn in unknown condition.

The building is home to a jewelry manufacturer, and cyanide is a byproduct of some jewelry production.

Manorhaven Boulevard was closed between Cottonwood and Dunwood roads as hazardous materials crews investigated. As a precaution, a "very limited" evacuation was ordered around the Manorhaven business.

Do you have something to add to this story? Click here to contact Eyewitness News.

Load Comments