Police: Woman used grill to heat house

March 16, 2011 8:56:37 AM PDT
Suffolk County Police have arrested a Brentwood woman after she used a barbeque grill to heat her home, sickening her family.A resident of the home on Merrill Street in Brentwood called 911 around 4:00 this morning after a woman inside the home passed out.

When police arrived, they determined that the residents were suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning.

According to police, the woman used a barbeque grill in the house for heat after the family had run out of heating oil.

The fumes quickly spread, sending carbon monoxide through the house.

Police found Marie Claudia Blaise, 43, and her son Claudys, 13, unconscious and her daughter, Francysca, 10, semi-conscious.

Yves Blaise, 49, and the couple's daughter, Frandia, 16, walked out of the house on their own.

All five were transported to Southside Hospital in Bay Shore for treatment of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Marie Claudia was later transported to Nassau University Medical Center in East Meadow.

She was charged with reckless endangerment.