SWAT Team ends machete standoff at NJ home

March 27, 2011 7:30:06 PM PDT
Members of a SWAT team stormed a southern New Jersey home early Sunday and arrested a machete-wielding man who had barricaded himself inside for several hours.

Lower Township police had initially gone to Marlon McBean's home around 8:30 p.m. Saturday because he was burning leaves in his yard. He told the officers he was "trying to drive off demons," but eventually doused the fire after police told him it wasn't permitted.

Officers later returned to the home after learning another fire had been started. But after being told he would receive a summons for the second fire, the 34-year-old McBean allegedly grabbed a log from the fire and began waving it at police.

An officer quickly knocked the log away and the two men began scuffling, with McBean striking the officer several times. McBean then allegedly grabbed a metal rod he found in his yard and began swinging it at police, who then used chemical spray in a bid to subdue him. But McBean instead went inside his home and soon returned with a 2-foot-long steel machete, and then made threats to police while standing in his doorway.

Authorities soon evacuated the neighborhood and tried to talk McBean into surrendering. But he remained inside his home for about 11 hours, blasting music at times and making loud animal noises throughout the night.

After officials eventually determined McBean had no guns or other weapons in the home, the SWAT team stormed the residence around 6:30 a.m. Sunday and found him holed up in a bathroom.

McBean then allegedly bit one of the officers on the arm while being placed under arrest.

Bail was set at $100,000 for McBean, who faces numerous charges including aggravated assault on a police officer and several weapons offenses. He was taken to a nearby hospital for a psychiatric evaluation, and eventually will be transferred to the Cape May County Jail.

It was not immediately known Sunday afternoon if McBean had retained a lawyer.

Two officers sustained minor injuries during the incident, but McBean apparently was not hurt.

Do you have something to add to this story? Click here to contact Eyewitness News.