Chef Franco Franzese covers the food and his daughter is responsible for the front of the house and the family feeling.
One dish that will fill your belly is the Mozzarella Imbottito, which is literally a stuffed mozzarella.
Franzese starts by making his own cheese then adds sautéed mushrooms with prosciutto and herbs, that's layered between two pieces of mozzarella which gets breaded and deep-fried.
The family owns another similar restaurant in Forest Avenue in Staten Island and Bruno Bakery in Greenwich Village.
Pasticceria Bruno is located at 1650 Hylan Boulevard,Dongan Hills, Staten Island.
Recipe: Mozzarella Imbottito
8oz fresh mozzarella
3 cups fresh button mushrooms
1/2 cup prosciutto
1 minced shallot
1 tablespoon butter
1 whole egg
1 cup of flour
1 cup of Japanese bread crumbs
2 cups fresh tomato sauce
One bunch of fresh basil
1. Slice the fresh mozzarella.
2. In a sauté pan, add minced shallots and butter.
3. Sauté until golden brown and add prosciutto and mushrooms.
4. Sauté for 5 min., then put on the side to cool down.
5. Take fresh mozzarella and place stuffing in the middle
6. Place other slice of mozzarella on top, place in flour,dip in egg, and enrobe it in bread crumbs.
7. Fry crisply.
8. Place on a dish, spoon out the tomato sauce and place mozzarella on top.