Suspects named in deadly Queens shooting

July 4, 2011 5:31:04 AM PDT
It has not been the holiday weekend residents of one Queens community had anticipated after two shootings left one dead and three wounded.

The gunfire began around 10 a.m. Saturday and then erupted again later in the day.

Both shootings happened near the intersection of Parsons Boulevard and Jewel Avenue in Flushing.

"All I heard was firecrackers," said one eyewitness.

Not firecrackers, but gunshots echoed through Pomonok Houses around 6 Saturday night. A mother and son were returning home when witnesses say a gunman shot both of them while inside of a silver Jetta.

"Then I saw all the cops. That's when I turned around," said a 71 year old woman who doesn't want to be identified.

She was perched on a bench with friends at the time of the shooting. She later learned their 39 year old neighbor and her 18 year old son were shot just a few feet behind them.

"It just tore me apart," she said.

The woman, Christina Coleman, was shot in the head and died at the hospital. Her son was shot in the chest and remained in critical condition, officials said.

Police are looking for Lerome Robinson, 21, in connection to the shooting death of Coleman. He's described as 5'8", approximately 165 lbs., with black eyes and short, black hair.

Police are also looking for Mark Coleman, 22, in connection to the shooting death of Coleman. He's described as 5'9", approximately 180 lbs., with brown eyes and short black hair in braids or cornrows. He has a tattoo with the word "Christina" on the right side of his neck.

Witnesses say detectives swarmed the housing development within minutes of the evening shooting, closing down part of Jewel Avenue and went building to building in search of information.

Hours earlier in the same housing development, two men, ages 23 and 21, were also shot.

That shooting happened in a vestibule of the Pomonok Houses at 10:00 a.m.

Police said a 21-year-old man was shot in the head, arm and back, while a 23-year-old was shot in the stomach.

Both men remained in critical condition at New York Queens Booth Memorial Hospital.

No word of any suspects or motive in this case.

Police say the two incidents aren't related, but that's little comfort to neighbors.