5 arrested, more sought in NJ street mob beating

July 8, 2011 8:13:04 PM PDT
Five people are under arrest and police are searching for more suspects after a man was beaten into a coma by a street mob in New Jersey.

The incident happened early Sunday in Bayonne, not far from the Quick-Chek on Broadway.

Twenty-two-year-old Dawid Strucinski, who goes by the name David, just graduated from Rutgers and was looking for his first job. Now, he's fighting for his life.

A fundraiser is scheduled for Friday to help pay for Strucinski's medical bills.

Police in Bayonne say it was a vicious attack, and now two young women and one young man believed to be involved are in custody.

Strucinski was walking home with friends when they spotted another friend surrounded by a mob of people.

"He was getting pushed around in the middle of the street," friend David Aziz said. "So me, Dan and Dave go run to diffuse the situation and get everyone back."

But there was no diffusing the confrontation, and the mob turned on the friends, separating them.

"I got hit in the back of the head, dropped and got stomped out by a couple of people," Dan Sautkin said. "I feel like the same thing happened to Dave, except when he got hit, he got instantly knocked out. So when they were kicking him, he was already unconscious."

Strucinski was kicked repeatedly and suffered severe head injuries. Police say there were more than a dozen attackers, at least nine men and four women.

The girls who are in custody are 17 and 14 years old, and they are charged with rioting and endangering an injured victim. The 16-year-old male in custody is charged with aggravated assault, rioting and endangering an injured victim. Police believe he is the one who initially hit Strucinski and caused his unconscious fall to the ground.

Later Friday, two more arrests were announced. Two 16-year-old boys turned themselves in. One is charged with aggravated assault, riot, and endangering injured victim.

The other 16-year-old boy is charged with aggravated assault, riot, endangering injured victim and theft because he allegedly went through victim's pockets while he was down.

"From what I understand, it wasn't a targeted attack," friend Steve Grau said. "It was just those people were out that night, and they were looking to do exactly what they did."

Authorities are currently making arrangements for three more juveniles to turn themselves in. Two will be brought in by a parent, while the third is out of town and working out surrender. Two of them are reportedly 16 years old, while the other is 15.

Police say the attackers were coming from a house party on 14th Street, and they have reason to believe the juveniles were intoxicated.

Strucinski was taken to Jersey City Medical Center, where he remains there in a coma. Officials say he is breathing on his own.

His friends held a fundraiser, at the local Polish-American hall, that raised $20,000 Friday night.

For more information on how you can help, please visit: https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=116604791763952