Metro-North train derails underground

July 11, 2011 7:20:38 PM PDT
A Metro-North train derailed while leaving Grand Central Station.

It was hot, dark, and miserable for the 500 or so passengers on the derailed Metro-North train.

The power was turned off for everyone's safety, which meant there was no air conditioning.

So, just imagine what it was like for the three pregnant women on board.

Rachel LaMagna is 8 months pregnant!

"I was getting nervous I didn't want to deliver on the train. Another pregnant woman and I had to walk down the track. We were worried about being electrocuted. We started crying," LaMagna said.

Most passengers on the six-car train evacuated onto a rescue train that pulled up on the tracks right next to the derailed train.

But it took about 90 minutes to rescue passengers in the front two cars.

Rescue crews forced open the doors, hoisted up ladders then walked passengers along the track to an emergency exit.

"We had to put up a ladder. Then, walked them down one by one," ESU Detective Sean Mulcahy said.

The train left Grand Central at 6 p.m. and was heading to Croton Harmon.

Minutes later, a wheel on the second car jumped the tracks near 56th Street and Park Avenue.

"It sounded like an explosion. The second car behind us fell completely off. We thought it was an explosion. Then we heard the train derailed," said Demetri Semeras, a rescued passenger.

No one was hurt.

The cause of the derailment is under investigation.

Passengers had to walk back to Grand Central to catch another train home.

Rescued Passenger Randolph McLaughlin says "They promised there would be buses to take, buses back to Grand Central. There are no buses. The MTA failed," said Randolph McLaughlin, a rescued passenger.

Passengers walked about 10 blocks back to Grand Central.

The MTA says there was really no impact to other service.

It happened on one of the four tracks they use to bring trains out of Grand Central.

Other trains were rerouted with no significant delays

For more information please visit: