The blaze broke out in their apartment behind a home on Bronxwood Avenue just after 12:30 a.m. Tuesday. Officials say the residence was a garage that was illegally converted into apartments.
Firefighters found the 71-year-old man and a 51-year-old woman inside the building. They were rushed to Montefiore Medical Center with severe smoke inhalation.
The man died at the hospital, while the woman was stabilized.
A 54-year-old man also sustained burns to his back and arms. He was taken to Jacobi Medical Center for treatment of non-life threatening injuries.