Students allowed to play in game after arrests

November 11, 2011 2:47:01 PM PST
Several school Board members tell Eyewitness News that as parents they're very disappointed that those under arrest are playing, but case law forbids the board from intervening and says districts can't prevent the players' participation because of something that happened off school grounds.

What happened happened on Urban Club Road in Wayne and got the quick attention of an entire town, two schools, and the police.

"When our units responded there, we found two kids who had been beaten severely. One had been knocked unconscious for several minutes," said Chief John Reardon, Wayne Police.

The police chief says an argument at a high school party ended in violence.

The victims were two Wayne Valley High School students.

They had to be taken to St. Joseph's hospital after being beaten, knocked to the ground then stomped on and kicked.

Police arrested nine football players from Wayne Hills High School all for aggravated assault.

Eight are minors so their names are sealed, but Andrew Monaghan, a star football player from Hills High is 18 so police gave us his mug shot.

Plenty of parents of Wayne high schoolers are quick to share their thoughts.

"It's a shame, I feel sorry for everybody," said Jill, a parent.

"No, I don't think they should be allowed to play. It's a privilege and that should be taken away," said Kiki Graham, a parent.

High schoolers from Wayne Valley feel outraged that the football players under arrest are allowed to suit up for the playoff game Friday night.

"If they did that on school grounds they'd be expelled so I don't think they should play," said George Straus, a 14-year-old student.

"I don't think so. If they did that to those two kids, they shouldn't play," said Elijah Barnes, a 15-year-old student.

The coach could decide to bench them.

When Eyewitness News called his house and asked to speak with him about the matter, someone said: "he's preparing for the game and let's leave it at that."

Eyewitness News also tried several times to reach the superintendent, but our calls and emails were not returned.