"You've got more people in your little kitchen, not just you. You're using every shelf in the oven filled and things are on timers and in and out. So, you've got to make sure your hands are protected," said Dr. Tom Tallman of Cleveland Clinic.
And protect your entire body by avoiding loss-fitting clothing while you're cooking. A dangling sleeve can catch fire if it contacts a flame.
It is also a good idea to make the area near the stove a "kid free zone."
Turn pot handles inwards and try to keep them on the back burners to reduce the risk of being knocked over.
Beside burns, cuts can also create a Thanksgiving emergency.
It usually happens while slicing bread or preparing vegetables.
And don't forget food safety. Keep cold food cold until the last minutes and put leftovers away as soon as possible.
You'll be thankful later that your Thanksgiving dinner didn't cause a food poisoning disaster.
"If you're at a table all of that stuff is just kind of laying out there, you know, be careful about anything that's got butter or mayonnaise or anything in it that's been on the counter for a long time. All of that is going to be a risk for staph or things that are going to make you acutely sick and vomit that same day," said Dr. Tallman.