According to detectives, the Levittown Fire Department responded with eight fire trucks and fifty firefighters to a shed fire located in the rear yard of 154 Ranch Lane.
While fighting the fire, a small explosion occurred inside the shed causing minor injuries to three firemen who were transported to a local hospital.
Two firefighters were struck with projectiles; one in the leg and the other in the chest.
The third suffered a burn to his face.
All three were treated and released.
During the investigation by the Nassau County Fire Marshal's Office and the Arson/Bomb Squad, it was discovered that the source of the explosion was due to fireworks that had been stored in a 3" PVC pipe.
The heat from the fire caused the pipe to explode which in turn caused the injuries to the three firefighters.
The shed sits adjacent to the property of the Levittown Memorial High School and witnesses report seeing kids in the area prior to the fire.
The fire, which is deemed suspicious in nature, is still under investigation and no charges have been filed at this time.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered