Smoke detectors being handed out after tragic blaze

January 19, 2012 2:33:34 PM PST
A new effort was launched Thursday to save lives in a town still grieving from that Christmas day fire that killed five people.

Three young sisters and their grandparents died in Stamford and fire officials said working smoke detectors were not installed.

Inside a firehouse lays 1,000 smoke detectors that will be distributed to Stamford residents.

The fire that killed ad-executive Madonna Badger's three daughters and her parents was caused by fireplace ashes that hadn't been properly disposed of.

The house was under renovation and its hard wired smoke detectors hadn't been reconnected.

Asst. Chief Matthew Maounis was on vacation, didn't know what the cause was, but immediately suspected there was a problem with fire alarms.

Maounis reached out to fire safety company two days after the fire.

The company donated the smoke detectors which will be distributed through the end of February.

Officials say a big part of the safety initiative is recognizing the eyes of the world are on Stamford.

Under Stamford law, smoke detectors are not legally required in single family and two family homes built before 1978.

Get Eyewitness News Delivered

Facebook | Twitter | Newsletters | Text Alerts

Load Comments