NYPD Detective shot; Suspect killed

February 14, 2012 8:16:03 PM PST
A police officer assigned to the Queens Violent Felony Squad was shot inside the subway system in the Hamilton Heights section of Manhattan.

Police officers spread out across 145th and St. Nicholas Tuesday.

They investigated the scene of a shootout between a police officer and a suspect wanted for attempted murder.

The shooting stalled commuters on trains.

"Sitting waiting, wondering what happened. They told us there was an ongoing investigation," a commuter said.

Police insist straphangers were not in danger as gunfire rang out and the mayor believes the actions of Detective Kevin Herlihy are part of the reason why.

"He is the kind of detective you'd want out there protecting us," Mayor Bloomberg said.

The shooting unfolded at around 4:15 in the afternoon Tuesday.

Herlihy was among four detectives trailing 52-year-old Michael McBride.

As they were closing in on him at 145th Street and St. Nicholas, police say McBride took off running down into the subway station with a 22 caliber six shot revolver hidden under a newspaper.

"He went into the subway station where he turned and fired at Detective Herlihy," Police Commissioner Ray Kelly said.

Despite taking a bullet to his left arm. Police say Herlihy returned fire, and 13 rounds later, McBride had been shot in the chest and later died.

Police say he was a parolee with an extensive criminal history who allegedly tried to kill his girlfriend's 25-year-old daughter in her Rockaway Beach home on Monday.

She was shot in the head and is in very critical condition.

Almost 24 hours later, police tracked McBride to the subway station where they stopped him, but not without a barrage of gunfire in this often busy station.

All six chambers of McBride's weapon had empty rounds, and 5 bullet fragments were recovered at the scene.

McBride was currently on parole for robbery.

Detective Kevin Herlihy was taken to Columbia Presbyterian Hospital in stable condition.

He's expected to make a full recovery and possibly be released from the hospital Wednesday.

Get Eyewitness News Delivered

Facebook | Twitter | Newsletters | Text Alerts