The 4-year-old Long Island girl calmly dialed for help Wednesday after her younger brother choked on a piece of chicken and passed out.
A police officer who lived near the family's Amityville home was on the scene within moments. Officer John Adriella was able to dislodge the food and get the child breathing again.
Now Gracie is being hailed as a hero. The police sergeant who took her call tells Newsday (http://bit.ly/L70FW4) she was "cool and collected" on the line.
For a few minutes the situation was desperate. A grandmother taking care of the children was unable to clear the boy's airway and had carried the child outside yelling for help.
He's doing fine now.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered