Treating summer bug bites and bee stings

July 5, 2012 4:51:09 AM PDT
Kids are more likely to get hurt during the summer months than any other time of the year.

Your yard can be a hot bed of insects and poisonous plants your kids need to avoid.

Nothing can take the fun out of a summer day faster than a nasty bug bite or sting.

So here are some tips on how to treat them quickly and what danger signs to look for.

Mosquito bites are a major summer annoyance, and the red itching bites can turn summer fun into suffering. For children, use an insect repellent with a concentration of deet between 10 and 30 percent, nothing higher.

Avoid sunscreen/insect repellent combos because they may not be as effective as two separate products, and you will have to reapply often. While mosquitos may be annoying, ticks can pose a real health hazard, because of the threat of lyme disease.

Remove a tick as quickly as possible with a pair of tweezers, and if you see the telltale bullseye mark, see a doctor immediately.

For bee stings, remove the stinger as soon as possible, wash the area and apply ice. Then, take ibuprofen or acetaminophen for pain.

Most people will have only a localized reaction to a bee sting. But watch for an allergic reaction. Hives, swelling, dizziness and nausea all can be signs of a bee sting allergy and requires emergency medical attention.

Bee allergies are generally hereditary, so an allergic parent should watch their child.

If a severe reaction occurs, an allergist should be seen as soon as possible. Future stings could result in reactions that are up to 60 percent worse than the first allergic reaction.

Get Eyewitness News Delivered

Facebook | Twitter | Newsletters | Text Alerts

Load Comments