Faulty wiring blamed in Bronx fire

July 19, 2012 1:09:57 PM PDT
Fauly wiring in a sixth floor ceiling is blamed for sparking a six-alarm fire that burned through a large apartment building in the Melrose section of the Bronx early Wednesday, officials said.

At least 33 firefighters suffered heat-related injuries battling the fire.

The six-alarm fire broke out shortly after midnight Wednesday at 975 Walton Ave. near Yankee Stadium.

More than 200 firefighters battled the blaze during a hot and humid night.

The blaze was brought under control just before 4 a.m.

None of the injured required hospitalization, but dozens of people were forced from their homes.

The Red Cross is providing food and emotional support at a local high school for affected residents. Emergency shelter will be provided to those needing it.

CLICK HERE to see images from the scene.

WAKE UP WITH EYEWITNESS NEWS! Click here to download the WABC Eyewitness News Alarm Clock app from iTunes. or search WABC or 7online in the app store.

Get Eyewitness News Delivered

Facebook | Twitter | Newsletters | Text Alerts

Load Comments