A cooking accident started the fire at former Councilman Dennis Robertson's house Saturday morning. Firefighter PJ Goldfeder lives across the street.
Goldfeder tells the Journal News a teenage daughter of Robertson's ran to get the family's firefighting neighbor while her relatives called 911.
Goldfeder arrived to find thick a three-foot-thick blanket of black smoke covering the floor. But he was able to contain it to the kitchen with his own high-pressure fire extinguisher.
Soon, 30 firefighters arrived and brought the blaze fully under control.
Deputy Fire Chief John Flynn says the Robertson home probably would have been severely damaged and perhaps a total loss without Goldfeder's action.
Get Eyewitness News Delivered