FDNY: Cigarette caused deadly Staten Island fire

December 25, 2012 9:03:51 PM PST
The Fire Department says a cigarette started a blaze that killed a man in his Staten Island home last weekend.

The Staten Island Advance reported Tuesday that FDNY spokesman Frank Dwyer said officials traced Saturday's fire to a discarded, lighted cigarette.

Jameek Champagne died in a third-floor attic bedroom in the Osgood Avenue home. It was the only deadly fire on Staten Island this year.

Dwyer says faster response times and fire safety education efforts have helped reduce the number of fire-related deaths in the city over the last several years.

Get Eyewitness News Delivered

Facebook | Twitter | Newsletters | Text Alerts