New York City dog saved after swallowing 111 pennies

March 14, 2013 2:43:50 PM PDT
A New York City dog underwent emergency surgery to remove more than 100 pennies from his stomach.

The Jack Russell terrier, named Jack, swallowed 111 pennies last week and quickly got sick.

The 13-year-old dog's owner, Tim Kelleher, rushed him to a Manhattan veterinarian for emergency surgery.

That's when dog doctors put Jack under anesthesia and methodically removed all 111 coins.

The zinc from the coins could be lethal.

But Kelleher says his best friend is okay and back to his normal self.