Here are 7 memorable quotes from her public life:
1) "If you want something said, ask a man; if you want something done, ask a woman." - May 20, 1965, speech to National Union of Townswomen's Guilds Conference.
2) "There are dangers in consensus: It could be an attempt to satisfy people holding no particular views about anything. ... No great party can survive except on the basis of firm beliefs about what it wants to do." - Oct. 10, 1968, at the Conservative Party conference.
3) "Ladies and gentlemen, I stand before you tonight in my red chiffon evening gown, my face softly made up, my fair hair gently waved ... the Iron Lady of the Western World. Me? A Cold War warrior? Well, yes - if that is how they wish to interpret my defense of values of freedoms fundamental to our way of life." - Jan. 31, 1976.
4) "We fought to show that aggression does not pay and that the robber cannot be allowed to get away with his swag. We fought with the support of so many throughout the world. ... Yet we also fought alone." - July 3, 1982, on the Falkland Islands war.
5) "We can do business together." - Dec. 17, 1984, speaking of the Soviet Union leader Mikhail Gorbachev.
6) "If you just set out to be liked, you would be prepared to compromise on anything at any time and you would achieve nothing." - May 3, 1989, commenting on her 10th anniversary as prime minister.
7) "I am not immortal, but I've got a lot left in me yet." - Sept. 9, 1990.