2 trapped inside burning Long Island home are rescued

Long Island news from Eyewitness News

July 5, 2013 2:42:40 AM PDT
The occupants of a burning Long Island home were rescued by police after getting trapped on the second floor by heavy fire and smoke.

Suffolk County police say Jamel Shands and Chanell Duncan were hanging out the second-floor window of the Coram house when officers arrived Thursday afternoon.

Newsday says (http://bit.ly/15jPpD6 ) three officers ran upstairs, found the door and helped Shands who had difficulty walking downstairs.

Police say Shands and Duncan were not hurt. Another resident was on the first floor and escaped on her own.

The Coram fire department responded and determined that the fire started in the kitchen. It says the blaze spread to an interior wall behind the stove.

It's not considered suspicious.