The blaze happened around 9:00 p.m. Friday night at the Racquet Club Apartments on the 1900 block of Veterans Highway.
Arriving fire crews reported flames coming from the roof and within minutes a third alarm was struck.
The fire gutted a portion of the building and has not been brought under control.
Fire crews attempted to battle the blaze from the roof but have since evacuated the roof and are working to fight the flames from the ground.
There have been no reports of injuries.
Area roads have been shut down and detours are in effect as crews continue to battle the blaze.