Federal funding for the program ended this week, but about 300 people are still sleeping in city-funded hotel rooms that are paid for through Friday. Several of them held a press conference Wednesday with elected officials to fight for the program's continuation.
Among them was Cherell Manuel, who said she found a new place to live but needs a few more weeks to get all the pieces in place before moving. Manuel and her four children have been living in hotels since the storm flooded their home in Far Rockaway, Queens.
"We didn't ask to be here. They act like we asked to be here," she said, standing on the steps of City Hall. "We're the victims of a devastation."
The city has spent $70 million to house more than 3,000 people left homeless since the storm hit Oct. 29, officials say. Each room costs about $266 per night.
A judge last week sided with city lawyers and lifted an injunction that protected the housing program, saying that the city doesn't have the finances to continue the program now that the Federal Emergency Management Agency has stopped its financial support.
Michael Cardozo, the city's top lawyer, said in a statement Wednesday that the city has "dedicated tremendous effort and resources" to those displaced.
"Interim housing, along with intensive case management services, was provided but was never intended to be a permanent solution," he said. "As the court has recognized, the city cannot afford to single-handedly continue this program in the absence of FEMA funding."
Cardozo said anyone without a place to go could access a city homeless shelter, and staff would work with them to find housing.