Midwood, Brooklyn, fire leaves 2 dead, 3 hurt

Tim Fleischer reports from Midwood
October 30, 2013 5:52:30 PM PDT
Two people are dead and four others hurt after a fire tore through a building in Brooklyn early Wednesday.

Crime scene investigators and fire marshals gave the appearance that something suspicious could have been behind this tragic fire that left a man and a woman dead.

But after sifting through the rubble, the cause according to the FDNY, was a damaged extension cord powering a space heater.

"It was terrible and I can't stand this," said Wanda Monastyrski, a neighbor.

Wanda Monastyrski saw the smoke and flames engulf her neighbors' house around 3:30 a.m., and could only scream for help in the middle of the night. Firefighters were quick to arrive.

"We had heavy fire on the first floor of the building with some extension to the second floor of the building," said Deputy Chief Michael Ajello, FDNY.

The 63-year-old man apparently tried to save the life of a 91-year-old woman who was still trapped in the house.

"The gentleman who went to try and save the mother, he tried to the do the best thing that he could, but unfortunately that's all," said Mathieu Eugene, a family friend.

She was found by fireman unconscious and unresponsive.

The man was critically burned and was rushed to a nearby hospital but later died.

A man who says he is a family member rushed to the scene.

"My uncle, his wife, my grandma, his three kids, I haven't talked to them yet," the family member said.

Wanda Monastyrski says another neighbor was also trying to rescue others who lived inside the East 15th Street Home.

"He saved them," Monastyrski said.

"He saved the young mother and the baby?" Eyewitness News asked.

"Yes, yes, the neighbor saved them," Monastyrski said.

"I saw him bring the small 2-year-old baby and his mother. He was, 'Come, bring them outside over here.' He was safe," said Intazar Dar, a neighbor.

Four others were treated for minor injuries.

"Husband and wife, whole family, they are beautiful, beautiful people," Monastyrski said.

"I think this is a big blow to the family," Eugene said.

The fire was placed under control around 4:45 a.m.