Emergency 911 dispatchers were called just after 4:20 p.m. Friday for a fire on the 12th floor of the 22-floor building in the NYC Housing Authority development called the Langston Hughes Houses.
Police say four officers kicked open the 12th floor apartment, heard a 57-year-old woman's screams, crawled on the floor to reach her and then carried her down the stairwell to safety.
Eight people suffered minor injuries, including some who had smoke inhalation.
The woman who lives in the apartment told us the fire broke out in her daughter's bedroom.
The fire was brought under control within an hour but neighbors say the smoke and flames spread so quickly, all they could do was run.
The FDNY says it is a fire proof building, so people did not need to evacuate. They were told to stay where they were.
Earlier this month, a faulty electrical wire caused a blaze on the 20th floor of a 42-story Manhattan high-rise apartment building that killed a man and seriously injured his husband.